Berlin Real Estate
Neighborhoods/Developments in Berlin, NH
Berlin is a city along the Androscoggin River in Coos County in northern New Hampshire, United States.
Located on the edge of the White Mountains, the city's boundaries extend into the White Mountain National Forest.
Berlin was first granted on December 31, 1771 by Colonial Governor John Wentworth, as Maynesborough after Sir William Mayne. But the grantees did not take up their claims, which disappeared with the Revolution. In 1802, Seth Eames and Gideon Tirrell were sent by the descendants of Mayne to explore and mark lots for settlers, and still no one came. Instead, Maynesborough was settled in 1823-1824 by William Sessions and his nephew, Cyrus Wheeler.
With 65 inhabitants in 1829, the New England town was reincorporated on July 1 as Berlin with the help of Thomas Wheeler, the father of Cyrus.
According to the US census, the city has a total area of 62.5 square miles, of which 61.6 square miles is land and 0.9 square miles is water, comprising 1.35% of the town. Berlin is situated at the confluence of the Androscoggin and Dead rivers. The Mahoosuc Range is to the southeast. Jericho Mountain State Park, created from a city park and from private land in 2005, is west of the city center and features a reservoir created in the 1970s and a network of ATV trails. The city's highest point is Mount Weeks, at 3,901 feet above sea level. Approximately half of Berlin lies within the Connecticut River watershed, and half lies in the Androscoggin River watershed.
The city is bordered to the south by Randolph and Gorham, north by Milan, east by Success and west by Kilkenny.
As of the 2010 census, there were 10,051 people residing in the city. The population density was 160.8 people per square mile. There were 4,910 housing units at an average density of 78.6 per square mile.
Please contact Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate The Masiello Group for homes for sale in Berlin New Hampshire, homes for sale in Coos County New Hampshire and for all your real estate needs.