Tuftonboro Real Estate
Neighborhoods/Developments in Tuftonboro, NH
Tuftonboro is a town in Carroll County, New Hampshire, United States.
Tuftonboro was the only incorporated place in New Hampshire owned by just one man, John Tufton Mason, for whom the town was named. Following the 1741 separation of New Hampshire from Massachusetts, Mason was heir to the Masonian Claim, the undivided lands of northern New Hampshire. He sold them in 1746 to a group of Portsmouth merchants, thereafter known as the Masonian Proprietors. They disposed of the land via grants to prospective settlers prior to the Revolution.
The town was granted as Tuftonborough in 1750 by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth, and first settled about 1780. It was incorporated by the legislature on December 17, 1795.
According to the US census, the town has a total area of 50.0 square miles, of which 41.0 square miles is land and 9.0 square miles is water, comprising 18.07% of the town. Tuftonboro is drained by the Melvin River and Beech River. Mirror Lake is in the south, and Dan Hole Pond is in the north.
As of the 2010 census, there were 2,387 people residing in the town, and according to the 2000 census there were 926 households, and 665 families residing in the town. The population density was 52.2 people per square mile. There were 2,019 housing units at an average density of 49.1 per square mile.
Please contact Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate The Masiello Group for homes for sale in Tuftonboro New Hampshire, homes for sale in Carroll County New Hampshire and for all your real estate needs.